View Single Post
nanglgrl 05:26 PM 03-05-2015
Old post but this problem is exactly why I went to a fee based on pick up time. I open at 7:30, pick up at 3:30 is one rate and gets higher every half hour after that up until 5pm. I heard of this from nanny de I believe.

Generally I'm paid $3-3.50 an hour when it's broken down but after 3:30 it goes to $5-6 per 1/2 hour. Amazing how many parents can find a way to pick up earlier when it costs more! For the last few years I closed at 3:30 because everyone was able to pick up. Now I close at 4:45 but they've found someone for the summer who can pick up at 3:30 when the rest of my clients leave.

I can't tell you how many people call and tell me they need full time care when I ask what they need then I ask what hours and they respond by asking what my operating hours are and then say those are the hours they need. Once I tell them how my rates work a good 95% of them suddenly don't need open to close any more and can pick up earlier. It's the strangest thing, sometimes I have to bite my tongue.