View Single Post
Unregistered 04:11 AM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I think we all do.

There is a societal concept of "getting their moneys worth" (and paying the least possible) and a current social acceptance of leaving kids in daycare 50 hours a week, or more. Even the parents who don't work and the ones who receive subsidy to cover the costs for them.

The QRIS advertising even makes new parents feel like their child will be behind if they don't .

When you add that to the newish idea that you can't be a "good" parent unless you have "plenty of me time", most parents really only do bedtime and occasional weekends anymore (over 50% in every other weekend custody and grandparent weekend care situations).

We really have to expect that kids will attend every minute we are open and adjust our schedules to that.
It is interesting reading through these posts... just responding to your comment on getting their money’s worth: I run a home program and I know not everyone can do this but I have intentionally decided I don’t want parents to do that so I charge a set rate based on their hours and give them some vacation time (if they give me notice) that I don’t charge them for. I also make it clear to families that I think kids need parent time. Since they are not being charged for time not here (within reason and based on agreed schedule) they don’t use as many hours as they might otherwise.I have worked with families in the past where dcf was involved and they really were better off in care, but that is not the case with any of my families now. I find a lot of families look to us to help them form these ideas about what they ‘should’ be doing because they see us as the experts! At least around here...