View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:31 AM 03-28-2016
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
it's not fitting the topic (which is why it wasn't mentioned), but hopefully your DC had a longer nap than, for instance, ours does. a child under 4 needs about 11-13 hours of sleep per 24-hour period (younger ones would be on a larger side of that number) (c) A Child's World by M. Feldman, p. 255 - yes, I did check one of my textbooks. so, 8pm to 5am would make 9 hours. our DC's nap time is relatively short - about 1.45 to 2 hours (since they all nap at the same time starting around 2 years old, and older kids don't want to sleep much longer, waking younger ones up with them). 9 at night + less than 2 at nap = 11 hours max. for some, that could end up in sleep deprivation (I know it could for our daughter when she was 2-3) and all sorts of problems. which is why I would rather let her sleep in.

that is not to make excuses for breakfast at 9 (again, our DC does provide it, and it's over by 8.45 at the latest; if we drop off at 9, she eats at home. heck, she eats at home, period: early riser). it's just kinda sorta an attempt to explain why parents choose to rather let kids sleep than wake them up at a crack of dawn for breakfast. what's the point of a kid falling asleep "drunk Russian"* style with the face in a bowl of cereal?

*when Russians get drunk, they are known for falling asleep face-in-salad right at the table. not a myth, I, sadly, witnessed that before.
ALL parents have the same 24 hours in a day.

YOUR (general you, not specific you) responsibility is to figure out how YOUR family routine needs to be adjusted or modified to fit the program schedule (school or child care) that your child attends and NOT to expect your school or child care to adjust or modify their schedule for you.