View Single Post
Leanna 11:19 AM 01-30-2014
The "stars" thread got me thinking...

We often have debates on here regarding care for young children vs. education for young children. Often these debates get boiled down to those providers with degrees or a lot of coursework in early childhood education to support “education” while those providers who have come into the field through other channels to support “care.” (I know there are exceptions to this…read on because that really isn’t the point, just a note I am making). This debate gets discussed in all kinds of ways, even in how we refer to ourselves (teacher, baby-sitter, provider, etc.)

I personally chose this career at as a teenager. I was lucky enough to get my Bachelor’s degree in early childhood education. I student taught at our college’s lab preschool, did many field placements, and worked at centers and Head Start before becoming licensed as a provider 6 years ago. I am a member of my local child care RR and the NAEYC. I read studies and journal articles often. Some of my favorite authors are John Holt and Vivian Gussin Paley. I get very upset when this field is portrayed in a negative light and even more upset when a fellow provider does something to bring this on the profession. I am all about professionalizing the field and promoting high-quality child care.

However, in our quest to defend family child care, I think we often divide exactly where we should be coming together. In all of my years of schooling under experts in the field of early childhood I have to say that one of the most important things I learned (possibly THE most important) is that high quality child care is education.

Read that line again...high quality child care is, in itself, education. Early childhood educations is not some mysterious thing that can only be carried out by some special individuals. It is NOT worksheets and crafts and themes. It isn’t even activities and field trips and carefully selected toys. It is CARE. Children grow and learn and prosper (and thus become ready not just for Kindergarten but for LIFE) through high quality care. It is holding a baby while giving her a bottle. “Wow, you are hungry!” you say as the baby gulps down her milk. It is changing a fussy toddlers diaper and engaging him in conversation so he is more cooperative. It is a lot of hand-washing (some sing a song, some pretend their hands are animals, some do an assembly line - either way the child learns how, and when, and why to wash). It is making sure every child is safe and healthy. It is feeding healthy foods. It is proper, age appropriate -discipline (which is part of being safe and healthy). It is Derek learning empathy when Katie falls and scrapes her knee and you comfort her with hugs and soothing words. Next time someone falls down Derek is the first one to ask if he is ok and helping him up. It is honoring each child’s family and home and knowing that no matter what those are the people most special to him. It is watching them play with lots of open ended toys and their language and imaginations blossom and fly. It is a provider witting with four or six kids on a rainy afternoon and watching Mary Poppins (gasp!). It is baking cookies together on Sam’s birthday (or just because). It is the nursery rhymes and lullabyes that our moms and grandma’s taught us. It is loving hands, warm hearts, and positive attention and supervision at the right times.

?????What??? What about curriculum? What about planning activities? What about XY&Z? What about it? Curriculum is fine….but what are the goals? Are the goals that the child will be a curious, imaginative, eager, life-long learner with positive social skills? Yes? Ok great! Or are the goals to learn shapes, colors, letters, and counting? Boo. News flash to all….kids will learn all of that through high quality care! You don’t need worksheets or letter of the week or to verbally quiz them during free play (“What color is your block?). Activities are great if they are meaningful and not contrived (and optional for the child). Planning a week-long study on bears just because you know a bear-song and there are some really cute bear crafts on pinterest?...boo again.

As we continue our day, let’s keep this in mind. We, daycare providers, child care providers, and baby-sitters, lets agree on this one thing. Let’s agree to care for the little ones and let everything else fall into place.