View Single Post
Heidi 11:01 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by SSWonders:
Omigosh! So well said and so enlightening. This is basically the way I do things but have been having a HUGE sense of guilt about not doing specific, structured "curriculum". And my state' regulations reguire you to provide curriculum.

"The licensee must provide a well-balanced curriculum of specific, planned
learning experiences that support the social, emotional, physical, intellectual and language development of all children."

Groan.

When my licensor visits she always asks what I am doing regarding that. When I say I use XYZ curriculum she is happy. But I find the whole forced "education" thing disconcerting. I think very young children should be allowed to be very young children and should set their pace. If they are interested in learning about something, they will let you know. They will be forced to spend a good chunk of their lives in school. I see no need to push it on a 2 year old.

I also have issue with the fact that our state changed our title from provider to educator. I do not have a degree in education. I do have a bachelor's degree in psychology and an RN nursing degree. However, in my mind the word educator takes the warmth out of what is special about family child care. I much preferred the word provider.
Would a portfolio of activities be enough evidence?

You could take pictures of the kids playing, doing art, and when they are involved in a (few) adult led activities, and put them in a photo album. When licensing asks, you have evidence, but not necessarily xyz curriculum. You can answer "I used creative curriculum", because that's what it essentially is.

I take pictures all the time and put them on my FB page. My DCP's love it, and all their grandparents and uncles and aunts are followers or friends, so they can either see my pics or parents can share them. I love when Grandma in Southern Illinois comments about how big her girl is getting. It makes me happy to be able to give that to their extended family.