Thread: Craft Daily?
View Single Post
DCP 04:54 AM 05-10-2012
IN our state we are mandated to have a curriculum - this does not mean we have to do a project every day but we have set subjects / times per week etc. that we must follow.

After a few years of purchasing a curriculum I now have my own which rotates every 4 years. We do not do it every single day - but close to it. Any child over 2 years of age participates in some way. Most of the time there are worksheets (even color pages I consider work sheets since they are educational based) This way almost every day the kids have "something" to take home.
I have found that half the parents do not care - but the other half do! The kids LOVE the curriculum so I do it for them!!! Crafts in general are a couple times per month..painting is several times per month as this is their absolute favorite activity. I feel extremely guilty if they do not have work to bring home several times per week! As I often wonder if the parents think we did nothing all day

I have found though - that a strong curriculum keeps your clientele longer! If they feel their child is getting an education - they will skip on switching them to a pre school. Years ago a year or two before K I would lose them to a local pre school...now they go from me to Kindergarten! So to me that is worth the extra effort and time spent on it