Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 04-30-2018
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I am so bad at setting boundaries with my families. I know what I need to do, but when it comes time to do it, I don't. I don't care if parents are 5 minutes late here and there because of work issues so my families are used to me being lax about it. It's when I find out that I'm being taken advantage of that kind of hurts. I hate to be "all or nothing" about allowing late pick ups, but come on!

I was told dcm would be picking up on Friday. Dcd works far away and can't make it to pick up on time. 5 minutes before closing, I get a text from dcd that he was going to be late. Fine, I figured mom had a last minute meeting with a parent, that happens frequently. Come to find out on Facebook that mom was out running with her friends. I would love to go workout with my friends, but I'm watching her kids. I have allowed lateness for so long though it doesn't seem right to get petty about it now. Sometimes I hate people.
Just because you've been laid back about it doesn't mean you can't change it now...

I would write up a memo or short note letting parents know that you were kind enough to not have a policy about being late because your clients were all respectful enough to not abuse your generosity and take advantage but now that is no longer the case so you are implementing a new late policy.

You don't have to go from 0-10 on the strictness scale but you can compromise....maybe give each family 3 "get out of jail" free cards per year... use when necessary but if they are late more than 3X then have a fee. A stiff fee so they use those 3 free passes wisely and not for silly things like running with friends.