View Single Post
Blackcat31 11:21 AM 01-04-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
How do you handle parents who have ZERO experience or knowledge of potty training who are trying to push PT on their kids? Do you give them advice? tell them what you know? or just leave it for them to figure out on their own?

I have 2 two yr olds who are no where NEAR being ready for toilet training but have two very eager parents. I just don't understand parents who want potty training to go on for months. My policy is that I don't do it here until they are having success at home so it doesn't really affect me but one parent wants me to switch to cloth diapers for her kid because she wants him to "be re-aquainted with the feeling of being wet"?? That has nothing to do with being ready for a toilet...not to mention the fact that being used to being wet should not be the objective. UGH I don't mind doing cloth diapering so that is not the problem...I am just not sure if I should say anything or leave it!
I'd suggest putting training underwear under the diaper or pull-up. Serves the same purpose.

Otherwise, my policy is the same as yours. When parents try to push it, I push back with my two weeks being dry AND child initiating needing to go AND child being able to do most the "work" (pulling pants up/down etc) on their own.

If they continue to push, I suggest they take time off and do whatever it is they need to do as there really is nothing I can do here that will speed the process up if the child is truly ready.

I've been in business for over 2 decades and so far none of the kids I've had in care have had issues/struggles with the rules I have in place.

I refuse to allow underwear until they've met the above requirements and I refuse to discuss the issue of wearing underwear here UNTIL that time.