Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
SilverSabre25 03:02 PM 01-17-2012
Originally Posted by kidkair:
Rambling though 2: I've been doing lots of reading starting with why we have to give kids so much peanut butter when less still equates to meat by way of protein at least with the brand I get. So with all my reading I find that we get way more protein than we need and that veggies (potatoes, lettuce, carrots) all have the protein we need and more than enough. I also found that milk leaches calcium from the body so it does no good for calcium intake and is completely unnecessary past getting it from mom. So I've decided to stop drinking milk and eating most meats (especially since most sources have hormones and such that I've been trying to get away from anyway). Further into this craziness of mine I've discovered that the gov't is paying me to continue to feed kids meat and milk not because it's proven healthy for the kids but because it helps the meat, milk, and oil companies who in turn help the gov't officials. Seems to me like we've turned into a gov't by and for the corporations rather than by and for the people. Many many myths came to light in my searches for increasing my health and the only thing keeping me from changing the kid's diet is that I wouldn't get reimbursed and still depend on that money.
Yeah...this is why I'm glad I'm not on a food program. Although, Americans *DO* need more protein in their diets, as a whole, and many fewer grains. You are right about everything else though. I don't give milk with meals, just water, or occasionally with breakfast or a snack. I count other calcium/protein sources instead. Good luck finding a happy medium, and kudos for realizing that the government's idea of "healthy" is NOT. Nor is it scientific or anything. It's dumb.