View Single Post
Mommy2One 01:09 PM 01-28-2013
(Hugs and virtual support)

As a parent, I would say if/how much you tell them depends on how friendly you normally are and how much your soon-to-be-ex was around the daycare before.

My current provider only cares for my daughter and an infant, both part time, so it's a pretty friendly, casual atmosphere. She's a heart on her sleeve sort of person and we usually chat for a couple minutes at drop off and pick-up. I imagine if she was going through a divorce it would be obvious something was upsetting her. Her husband also works a slightly atypical schedule so I'm used to seeing him around at least one day/week when I pick up DD and he's pretty involved with all the kids. Their own two boys and my daughter are all old enough (2.5yo-6yo) that I can imagine one of her sons saying something to my daughter who would then likely repeat it to me.

Long story short, I think eventually clues would start adding up and I'd begin to guess that something was going on. I wouldn't expect details but in the back of my mind I would probably wonder if she would have to move, change schedules, etc. The divorce itself wouldn't make me change my mind about her caring for my daughter... if anything I would want to be supportive.

You may want to give your parents a very brief, matter of fact head ups: "Just so you're aware, XX and I are getting a divorce. I do not intend to move or change schedules and, while this may be personally difficult to me at times, it will not affect my ability to remain professional and continue giving the children entrusted to me the exceptional care I have always offered." I'd also try to meet with your ex during non-daycare times, just because parents may be concerned about arguments in front of their children since not all divorces are amicable.