View Single Post
mamac 12:35 PM 02-27-2013
I voted other. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend both my kids' first birthdays with them as a PT SAHM. After they turned 2 I initially enrolled them into DC for socialization, but then it became necessary due to my crazy, unpredictable schedule. If they had been enrolled on their birthdays, I would have let them choose whether or not they wanted to spend it with their friends or take a special day with me. (Their DC did celebrate all birthdays.) To me, that is their special day and they can spend it how they like. (First birthday being the exception- that should be a biggie for all parents.) We also always have a celebration on the weekend with all family members- aunts, grandparents, etc. if it happens to fall on a weekday.

I would keep them out of DC quite frequently because I would often go a week or two at a time without having to work and I couldn't see not having them home with me if I was home. I also had to pay whether they were there or not, but I would rather raise my own kids than have someone else do it for me.

As for school- I don't think I would take my kids out for the day. My son's school let's the kids bring in treats on their birthday and dress out of uniform for the day so that's a really big deal. I'm not sure that he would want to miss out on that. Plus, his birthday is right when school starts and that wouldn't be a great time to take him out. (Not to mention that the school really values good attendance.)