View Single Post
harperluu 03:37 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree with this....and I did go back to school and get my education. I find that the children I care for are all under Kindy age and really need developmentally appropriate activites that help them learn self-help skills and independence vs academic skills.

The reading, writing and all the 1,2,3's and A,B,C's come naturally if the environment is supportive of their natural development. I will leave the actual teaching to the teachers in public school and will instead focus on manners, emotional maturity, self help, taking turns, sharing and how to use silverware and cups without lids instead.
This is perfectly stated, and my philosophy exactly. For me, early childhood is about nurturing and life skills. When someone asks if I have a preschool program, I always say that we do preschool activities but do not have a formal preschool curriculum. My art tends to be open-ended rather than project based. We spend mornings outside soaking up the fresh air and working on large motor skills. Nearly every moment in early childhood is a moment of discovery and learning. Children will not have a time in there lives where they can be so carefree until they retire.