View Single Post
e.j. 11:33 AM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by abcdaycaremom:
Currently I have a problem with my daycare parents that's driving me a little nuts! Yes I have a policy but never thought I needed to spell this out. I recently took a week off for vacation ( the first one in 4 years!) and then needed a Friday off for a family reunion that I haven't seen family for almost 10 years. ( both unpaid) During this time off I had 80% of my parents contact me with things that I feel could have waited until Monday morning.

I do not know how to approach my parents with this. I need a vacation from job just as much as everyone else. I have posted business hours also. I am called an average of twice a day during my closed hours disturbing my time with my family and even have had to take daycare children with me for doctor appointments for my own child even after asking for time off. I do not feel like I am getting any time and parents just don't get it
I had never had that happen to me until one week a few years ago. Not one but three of my dc moms called during a vacation week to ask non-urgent questions. One of them actually called me 3 times in as many days! I have a fair amount of patience but I have to say, their lack of consideration for my time off really ticked me off.

Ever since that week, I've learned to change the message on my answering machine and voicemail whenever I'm closed. "You've reached EJ's Day Care. We're on vacation this week but will reopen on (specify date). If you would like to leave a message, I will be returning calls by (usually the night before I'm due to reopen.) Seems to work; I haven't had anyone call me during vacation weeks since.