View Single Post
craftymissbeth 12:00 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I hear you all, but being a licensed provider does not mean that the care is any better than a unlicensed one. It just means your home,yard and equipment has all been checked out to make sure it is safe. The person who is licensed might not be a good care giver themselves, but their home has been checked and gotten a background check.

I am one that is unlicensed and have done daycare for over 30 years.
in my state,Mn, if you are unlicensed you can have only 2 children,if they are from the same family or just one child. that is all I take, 2 children from one family.

I do daycare because I do love the kids,love to teach them and money is not a issue as to why I do daycare. I just really love the children and want to make a difference in their little lives. This is just what I have been hearing in the news the last few years, but more children get hurt while in the care of licensed daycare's then in unlicensed home daycare's,now that being said that is not the case all the time, but just seems to be more prevalent. You can have more children in your care if your licensed and I think that makes a big difference in being able to watch every child every minute, Also I do not under or over charge,I find out what the going rate is and then I charge accordingly to what is being charged in my area for both un and licensed.

We are not trying to take your business away from you either as not being licensed, but I guess it is really up to parents as to if they want unlicensed or licensed care and what they are willing to pay for care for their child. I guess what I am trying to say here is that whether your licensed or not, it is actually the person giving the care that is most important,if they don't give good care and are licensed,why would a parent choose them just for being licensed,if you now what I mean.
My issue is not that they are unlicensed... the issue is that they are ILLEGALLY unlicensed.

ETA: Although, I do have to say that it bothers me that these people more than likely don't have much training as far as childcare goes and quite possibly don't even have CPR/First Aid certificates. In Kansas, it is a requirement of licensed providers to take a safe sleep class if you provide care for children 12 months or younger. Are these unlicensed providers here educated as far as SIDS go? My nephew died of SIDS almost 5 years ago... so the fact that they likely are untrained even in this one aspect truly hits home for me.