View Single Post
storybookending 07:57 AM 09-28-2017
I had the same feelings when I worked at a center. I only worked part time because they had to pay insurance for anyone over 30 hours for 3 consecutive years. So all the new hires or seasonal employees got to work 40 hours a week over people that had been there for years, knew the job and actually did things the right way. There is so much staff turnaround, and still is because of this. I made more than minimum wage (barely) but it still wasn't enough. If I didn't also have a part time nanny job while doing this I would not have been able to stay as long as I did. I still should have left earlier than I did.

As someone who has been there if you can get out I would leave. People ask me all the time if I miss it and I don't lie, I don't, it's great to be free of that place. I run into parents all the time that still miss me, comment on how the new teachers are fine but it's not the same and honestly I take that as validation that I was being underpaid for the services I provided. I still stay employeed and work one Saturday a month for 3 hours of drop in care. The ONLY reason I do this is because my center is connected to a YMCA and employees get a free membership. My shift is this weekend and while I dread it every time it comes up the free membership is still worth it to me.