View Single Post
daycare 03:22 PM 08-10-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Signed out for privacy. Sorry this is long.

Yesterday I was visited by state for an unannounced annual visit. I live in CA.
The inspector and her trainee came in briefly looked around then asked to see the backyard. I let her out back and the first thing she said to her trainee is "Do you see what I see?" What she saw was a blow up wading pool less than 1 1/2 foot deep. We were getting ready to have an end of summer party for a school age child. She told me that I had to have a fence around the pool. I told her no that we were only using it today and it is an inflatable pool I will empty when done. She still said she had to write me up. My daughter showed her the title 22 paragraph that states we can have a wading pool. Then she said she still has to write me up because I left the pool unattended. We had 4 children 2 adults and we were inside putting on swimsuits. The back door was locked. No matter what I said she still wanted to site me. Then she said she would talk to her supervisor. But she got her phone and went out the front door on the porch so I couldn't hear what she said to her. When she came back in she said she had to site me but I could appeal.

The children were never in any danger. My parents are appalled by this they know I would never put their children in harms way.

Has anyone ever had to appeal a citation to California State? I don't know what my chances are or what exactly to do or say when I write my appeal letter. I would appreciate any help.
I am in CA and sadly you didn't do it the right way. Rules state that open water of any kind (not even a dog bowl of water) can be left unattended for any reason. Water in pools, water tables, buckets and such must be 100% supervised by an adult at all times or 100% not accessible to the children, meaning a fence or such.

What you would need to do is have all of the children dressed first, then fill up the pool and then stay by the pool 100% of the time. As soon as you are done, dump the pool.

this has come up in many meeting lately and this is my understanding of it. It is not written clearly, but their expectations are what they want them to be and it SUCKS.

I would still try to appeal this.....