View Single Post
Chickadee-Tree 09:24 PM 08-25-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I am the parent of a special needs child. It's a LOT of work, honestly I would go the route he needs more than you can offer (and he DOES) he needs a low ratio, he needs 1:1 help during transitions, he needs a SAFE place (safe for him AND peers) to run/jump and get the proprioceptive input he is craving. He needs special needs preschool/prek/K.

I would research some options in your area and come armed. You aren't terming because of his special needs, you were aware and took him on knowing he had them. You are terming because you cannot MEET his needs.

She can scream discrimination from the rooftop, but her child is not a typically developing child and he will not be able to have the same opportunities as other children his age. That's the reality.
You are only one person, and you have tried to make it work. He needs the 1:1 for transitions, and for safety, should not be in mixed-age groups. Home daycare in general is probably not the best fit, even if there were no infants/toddlers (though there are always exceptions, it's unlikely that they'll find a home provider who meets ALL his needs and maintains the same level of care for the other kids)... He's probably better suited to a center, preferably one that is sensitive to inclusion and has experienced educators/staff.
It makes such a big difference when you have co-teachers around to support you, sometimes you've reached your limit (like when you've been patiently addressing a meltdown situation for a full hour!) and need someone else to "take over" so you can breathe & de-stress for a minute!

I commend you for hanging on and truly giving it your best effort, with a 7mo baby and the other kids too...And to give them a full month of notice is really awesome of you.
If they are upset with your decision, they're being unreasonable!!!