View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 03:38 PM 08-26-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I'm confused. Typically at age three, children who are receiving special education services transition to a classroom setting. I know they have them all across California. They aren't just for children diagnosed with Autism. Generally, a variety of classes are available. (mild/moderate/severe/ASD) I don't understand why that option isn't available to him.

Regarding the behavior plan, I think it would be more for mom than the child. I have termed due to unsafe behavior once and safety was the issue. I gave the parents a set time to come up with a solution that worked for me. (I had tried everything) They didn't so I termed.

For the little guy, you have tried a lot in terms of transitions. One thing that may help is a transition object. A transition object can either be a comfort item (eg: favorite toy truck) or an item that clearly tells the child what the next activity will be. For example, grab a cup and say "let's have snack." I prefer the latter because then I don't risk have to pry a preferred toy out of the child's hand if they decide to stick it in the yogurt.

This is a tough situation, but you have to do what's best for the group as a whole.
He's five, but developmentally, verbally and socially he's like a 3 year old