View Single Post
lovemykidstoo 04:46 AM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I had a Muslim family and like many others, the only accommodation that I had to do was not serve pork.
The sleeping thing never came up.

As far as the holidays went I did clarify to them that we do holidays here and that I embraced all of the children's religious and ethnic beliefs and that I would not stop celebrating the Christian and Jewish beliefs that we celebrated like Christmas, Easter, Hanukah, etc. but that it also meant that we would celebrate any holidays important to their family as well. I asked for help from the parents so that the celebrations could be authentic for their child, they were open to the idea which I was grateful for.

When Ramadan came up the parents suggested that instead of having the children fast (typically they start fasting for Ramadan when they're older) that we decide as a group one type of food that we would not eat during that time, the kids chose strawberries. It was really just a way to introduce the kids to other cultures and religions. I've been lucky so far that the families I have had have been very open-minded about it all.
Great idea!