View Single Post
Pestle 07:07 AM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
In Canada where the walkers have been banned, you think parents would get it that it's not safe. But I know of a few people who have smuggled one over the boarder just to have one and many others who wish they could get one. I cant understand the need to smuggle a device that has proved to be unsafe and then banned, just so you have some container to put your kid in. There are still plenty of legal options for parents.
Here's how somebody phrased their question on Quora:
I read that babies should play on the floor in the kitchen instead of in a walker, but is it safe to let her sit on the tile, since she could fall and hurt her head while I'm busy?

So what I see in that question is:
Cluelessness. The parent isn't thinking about the fact that a fall from a contraption that an adult uses to keep a child out of their way (positioning seat, walker, swing, high chair) will be more severe than a fall from the floor onto the floor.

Inflexibility. The parent is not willing to adjust their home environment to make it accommodating to the child. A gated-off space in the kitchen, or an adjacent child-safe space, needs to be created if the parent is going to do housework in the kitchen while also caring for the child. It's the child's house, too. Learn to share!

An unspoken belief that doodads and contraptions are better than no doodads and contraptions. In the early 20th century, people who didn't know much about science were easily persuaded that removing warm grubby humanity and replacing it with stuff from labs was the only way to parent. Now parents assume shiny glass touchscreens are the solution to all their challenges. We tend to worship things that seem smarter than us, and we don't do real research; we just do what that well-dressed, well-rested mom on YouTube does.