View Single Post
SignMeUp 05:39 PM 07-10-2014
Interesting conversation. Our food program says that organic has no more nutrients than non-organic, therefore it is just as nutritious. It just has no chemicals used during the growing, so you are avoiding any ingestion of those products.

I have used increasingly more organic food over the past ten years. But it is more expensive. I do not promise organic to my families, because I can't always get the variety that I want, or at times can't afford it. I tell them that I use mostly organic or minimally treated (which means that good growing practices are used, but their farm is not certified organic, so they can't use that term) and I buy huge quantities from farmer's markets to winter over or freeze. We have a contest every year to make our winter squash last as far into the winter as possible. So far we've made it to the beginning of March That's what we don't freeze.

I would say my food costs are close to double what they were ten years ago. But that is partly attributable to rising food costs in general, partly to using organic, and partly due to my gangbuster bunch of hungry almost-K kids. But there is no way my FP covers my full food expense.

As to the marketability, yes, I think parents here do want organic food for their kids. Even if they don't use it at home
I actually like it that they aren't picky on my meals being totally organic.