View Single Post
Blackcat31 08:49 AM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
You're right Blackcat, Mont. seperates ages 0-3, 3-6, 6-9, and 9-12. I think it's terrific you're working on your cert and it sounds like you can get VERY close to the Mont. environment! I didn't mean to be a party pooper and say you can't do Mont. at home, you CAN get very very close and in some ways better! Many Mont. schools don't even have 0-3 because originally Maria Montessori expected babies that young to be home with mothers learning at their feet in their own environment. Today though with so many working parents infant/toddler Mont is being offered and that's great too.
Oh, I didn't take your post as a "party-pooper" post at all! I was just super interested in other people's takes on Montessori. It is truly fascinating and has some excellent learning ideals and methods that are great, just not always possible in today environments.

I think that many of the early approaches that we are taught in school were designed around the concept that preschool learning meant kids 3 and up and like you said, babies were home being raised by their mothers and never in need of "schooling".

I think that we, as a society, definitely have to change and adapt to the things that change in our current surroundings and simply do the closest thing we can according to what we believe.