View Single Post
Snowmom 02:54 PM 01-04-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
IME, parents push potty training early because they think it is necessary for "normal" development or because they don't want to buy diapers anymore. I think it is a common misconception that potty training should be a skill that takes weeks/months to master, but in reality, a child who is actually ready will get the hang of it in a day or even a few hours. My son was 3.5 and my daughter was just shy of three. I didn't want them to potty train. They just showed me THEY were ready (emphasis n THEY, not ME), and we went ahead with it all. It took them less than a day and we have been good to go ever since.
Totally agree!
Imo, parents push potty training because they want US to do the work. They think it will save them time/effort/money if they tell us their child is ready in hopes that we won't say no to doing the work.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I used to. But after about the 5th year of being in business, I realized that one of my personal philosophies is to NEVER make more work for me. Especially when it comes to things I believe to be parental responsibilities.

I also realized after doing my taxes one year, that I am NOT paid enough to do certain things.

As for waiting and having to change diapers.... I only keep them until they reach school age and honestly, I can change a diaper in less than 30 seconds flat. NO MATTER how old the child is.

I also think it's LESS work to change a diaper than it is to engage in, participate and complete the entire training process.

Totally understand if it makes your life easier but I just can't wrap my head around putting in all the effort when it's not replicated or even on par with the level of effort a parent puts in.
Yes! I can change a diaper in a quick wink of eye. Cleaning up after an "accident" takes 30 minutes!