View Single Post
BumbleBee 09:10 PM 11-30-2012
I completely forgot about this thread.

I did end up going w/West Bend Mutual for dc insurance & one of their partner companies for home owners. It costs a mint and I'm actively searching for other companies that do dc & homeowners.

All of the major ones have said no due to the type of home I have.

A permanently affixed manufactured home sounds weird but here's my best at explaining it:

Manufactured/mobile home in the state of MI is titled as a vehicle. Home-owners insurance is higher because of the risk of the house being moved away. Permanently affixed means the home has been physically & permanently attached to a concrete foundation or a basement. Having it permanently attached (easy part) and certified as such (not so easy part) lowers the home-owners insurance though not to the level of a stick built home. The "vehicle title" is retired & you get a "home title."

Due to the "increased risk" of damage to a mobile home, affixed or not, is the reason for the higher rates. Throw in a daycare & no insurance company wants the liability without a hefty sum of $$$ or they just won't take it on.

I can find home-owners insurance at a reasonable rate, and I can find daycare insurance at a reasonable rate-just not with the same company or partner companies. I researched the advantages/disadvantages of going w/non partner companies vs. Partner companies & partner companies, for me, was the safest way to go.

While it's costing me a good chunk of change, I have coverage & am satisfied. Doesn't mean I'll stop looking for better coverage for the $$ but as of right now I am covered.

Ask me again in August when I fork over an entire months income for home-owners/dc insurance & I might say something different