View Single Post
Cradle2crayons 10:55 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That's fine and dandy but I am NOT personally willing to simply take a parent's word that a doctor said it was ok to give a medication NOT designed for their child/age.

NO way.

I would absolutely call CPS if a parent gave their child something that wasn't meant for them. There are directions, regulations and rules for a reason.

If a parent takes a phone call from a doctor to give their child a med meant for older kids, they have 2 choices... keep the medicated child home with them so they are FULLY responsible or they can have the doctor write a note and the parents can pick it up and bring it with to daycare so I am covered.

I won't borrow liability issues as we have enough to manage.
The problem with is I see is that parents are more likely to lie about this. I'm much happier with my parents being willing to write it on the medication log because I then have a written record of it. I'd much rather them do that than I would them lie. But I have a policy saying that I can and will call their dr to confirm verbal orders and I also have a form they give their dr and a form their dr signs in their file stating I can call and confirm if I feel the need. I've done that ONCE in my career just to be sure everything was in the up and up.

I do have parents get something written for OTC meds when they go to the dr and I've been thing about making a form that's good for one year that has a list of OTC meds and a space for dosages and reasons to give... I have them take it to their dr and let the dr out the correct dosage for weight and initial beside each one that is appropriate. If he doesn't recommend it, he can cross it out or mark it out. Then that medicine and dosage is good for one year or six months etc.

My kids dr used to do that. He have us a list of different approved meds and dosages appropriate for my kiddo and signed it. That way x was approved for itching. Y was approved for colds etc and I knew e correct dosage for weight.