View Single Post
Blackcat31 12:03 PM 02-18-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
So do they still pay for those days if they dont' come on scheduled days off of school?

Normally I have let them choose for summer because I had SA's that needed the space so it worked out for me. My one family with twins normally come 3 days and in the past summers they would only come 1. The other family that has 1 here 4 days a week normally has both of their kids come 2 days a week in the summer, so really the same income. This year though I don't have any of my past kids coming back for summer only so I'm telling them that they need to either pay or come 1/2 the time. Really my other teacher that brings the twins sometimes doesn't bother me as much as this particular family because this particular family just doesn't seem to do much with their kids and that makes me feel bad for them. I guess after thinking about it, it's not that I mind having them, just that I wish they had more time with mom and dad.
The rates I charge each family are really individualized but everyone pays 52 weeks a year. Their rates are dependent on what hours and days they need.

Teacher families pay their same rate through summer (even if they stay home all summer). I don't take SA'ers anymore so I don't have them available to fill the empty summer spaces.

It might not always seem fair but if I KNOW someone's off because of their work/school schedule (college student, bank employee, teacher) I really push them to not attend on those days.

I guess I don't have black and white rules as every family is different even if they work at the same place.

I just really stress to parents that I am a child care provider who provides care when parents work. If they want to take a day off and still bring their kids, I really don't care but for some reason when I know they don't have to work, that bothers me so I just highly discourage it.

I think if teachers (or college students or bank employees etc) want to have a day without their kids, it should be a day they take off of work not just a day they got off of work....kwim?

That doesn't even make a lot of sense but so far in 5 years, it has worked out pretty good for me so....

HTH