View Single Post
nannyde 10:42 AM 01-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It is my opinion that a licensed daycare provider who works from their home should not be closed for snow days simply because the schools are closed. The schools are closed for the safety of the children who walk and/or ride the busses that the schools provide for them. A daycare provider who is not liable for the transportation of their clients should remain open to those who are willing and able to bring their kids to the daycare. On another note, whether the parents decide it is safe enough to bring their child or not, all parents should pay full tuition for the day(s) because the daycare center should remain open. If the power is out or something more severe, this should be an acceptable reason to be closed. In conclusion, I believe that daycare centers should not be closed, but they still should require full tuition for snow days. They should be open for parents who still have to work to bring their children if they choose to do so, and if they do not and choose to stay home because they feel this is safer, they still must pay and this decision is up to them (or maybe their employer if they are required to attend work).
The decision should be made based on whether the inclement weather prohibits or delays access to emergency services. Can 911 be called in an emergency and arrive in the same amount of time as regular weather.

If emergency services are overworked because of the weather it isn't safe to have a house full of kids who have little chance of accessing services while the others are being normally cared for.

The second concern is if staff can arrive on time and have their child care needs met.

Next, can the provider keep her property safe for arrivals and departures? A provider inside with kids can't keep the outside safe.
A center may not have access to their normal plowers in a huge snow event. Many providers have been stuck with kids while their parents are stuck in their driveway or street or on the way to pick them up. Many providers have had parents get stuck in their driveway and blocked it off for other incoming parents.

Then the odds that parents can get back to pick.up on TIME? Is there staff available to care for kids if parents are delayed?

The money is easy. Centers and providers just need to build closure days into their contract. If the average closures are five a year then build five into the contract. If they aren't used then the parents get a few days of care they didn't pay for over the course of a year. If they exceed five them refunds are issued for the sixth and over days for parents that have actually used the five days.

My experience is that most parents will call into work because of the drive but drive their kid to care so they can have a me day and an excuse if they are late. It's a pretty rare parent who will keep their kid home even if the weather is REALLY really dangerous.

Some will... but most won't.