View Single Post
Countrygal 08:34 AM 04-01-2012
Originally Posted by Solandia:
My second dd was a spaz with milk (think severe ADHD &tantrums).
Interesting....haven't tried this with dgs. Maybe I will. Never thought of milk as exasperating the problem!

Originally Posted by Solandia:
But since I am no longer licensed, I don't have to serve milk, and I don't. We have almond & soy here.
These are exactly the types of things I am struggling with. My food care worker "frowns on" me using my fresh, free range, wonderfully healthy eggs for the daycare. Do you know what I can sell them for???? But I can't use them for the daycare kids. I can't serve my home-canned jelly that is made from hand-picked wild blackberries and elderberries or from hand-picked blueberrys and strawberries and at least contains all of the fresh fruit straight from the farm! Sometimes you just have to wonder what's the deal. Our state has a law where you can sell home-canned products if they are pickled or jellies. I think it was mainly passed for the Amish, they have a pretty strong lobby group here.

I recently researched the number of deaths from botulism. In a report I found from the ND state gov't it says: 110 cases annually in US of botulism,only 25% of the 110 are due to food, and 75% are infant botulism, many from consuming honey. Out of the SEVEN cases a year in the UNITED STATES that are left (even if you want to count the whole 27.5 cases), only about 5% die in this day and age. That means that about 1 1/3 people die of botulism caused by improper canning methods. I'm sure the gov't takes the credit for these much improved figures over the last 25 years, and they are certainly due their share by regulating the canning industry standards of production, esp. in methods used. However, I believe the decreased rate clearly reflects the better canning methods available today and, yes, the propaganda put out by USDA concerning proper canning methods.

Here is the link for my info: http://www.ndhan.gov/data/mrFacts/Bo...0Q%20&%20A.pdf