Thread: Time Outs
View Single Post
caregiver 06:14 PM 01-03-2011
Well, if they need to go in time out that many times in a hour for only a few minutes a time, well doesn't that say something......that the few minutes each time is not long enough or doing any good to make them understand that misbehaving is not acceptable. Like I said before they know that it is only a few minutes in time out and they get out, so no big deal, so they misbehave again and know it is only for a few minutes. BUT if they have to sit there longer, they might not want to misbehave again for fear of sitting in time out again for a long time. You have to think like a kid, what they are thinking about the time out..no big deal or I hate time outs so I won't misbehave again. Wow, so they have to sit on the time out chair for a half an hour, not a abusive measure! Just sitting on a chair!!!! They just don't get to play for awhile, that's all. Not a mean thing to do.

Let me ask you this, when you put your daycare child in a 2 0r 3 minute time out, does that usually stop the bad behavior for good or do they try and do it again and only get a few minutes again, are they learning from what they are doing wrong?