View Single Post
Unregistered 04:08 AM 01-15-2021
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think the messages on this forum are absolutely terrible. Naps should not be mandatory. And if a parent doesn’t want their kids napping, then they shouldn’t nap. How judgmental to think any one of you know better than the parents or expect a parent to change the time their kid goes to bed. A childcare worker is supposed to care for a child and the family...by imposing what works better for you and not the child and family is very wrong.
We are early childhood professionals and have knowledge in children's development as well as their needs. Our licensing inspector was informed when a parent requested that their child doesn't nap and she sent us a reply to share with the parents. There is obviously an issue when a parent doesn't understand that we are supporting a child's need by allowing them to have a rest/ nap period. If a child should fall asleep in that time, we are not permitted to wake them up.
In most cases, it is a parents need not a child's. The parent(s) don't want their child to nap. I had a father who would send their 2.5 year old in and remind her not to fall asleep during nap time. How sad? You may think its judgemental but I think what parents are doing to their children by reminding them not to fall sleep and then letting their frustrations out on a child is actually much more determental to their mental and overall health!