View Single Post
mac60 01:20 AM 06-04-2008
While I do agree that parents need to make sure they understand the providers contract, and if you don't agree to it or don't like it you can move on. I don't agree with "just switch providers". Just like the parents, the providers can get sick, need surgery, etc, and may need to take time off to recoup. Why is it ok for a parent to have surgery, take off 6 weeks, and be guaranteed your job back, yet as providers, your answers are to "switch". Yes, it would be an inconvenience to find a sub for a short amount of time, but it can be done.

I don't believe you should have to pay your provider for the time she is off, but I do believe you should sit down with her and discuss the situation. That is if you like her as a provider and don't want to lose her.

I think it is sad that people are saying "switch" if the provider is taking time off due to sickness/surgery. Parents need to understand that we are human too, if the parent was sick they would expect to be entitled to time off from their employer. If you like the provider, you need to talk with her.

Bottom line, providers are human and get sick, have emergencies, etc. Gees, with my parents, if I "missed" as much work as some of my parents do, I wouldn't have a job.