View Single Post
Unregistered 05:56 AM 02-16-2018
I have a five week old, my second child. He will be starting at a small home daycare when he is about 10 weeks old.

I've been reading a lot of threads here-the ones that concern me are the ones where providers complain that a child has been held too much/coddled making the transition difficult. While I believe that newborns should be held plenty, fed on demand, and given assistance to help sleep, I understand that this level of care might not be possible in a group setting. What can I be doing to gently prepare him in the next few weeks to make sure his transition is as easy as possible?

I'm already back sleeping him in a pack'n'play for naps and I am really trying to have him fall asleep on his own (though that only works less than half the time). We just introduced bottles and are giving him a couple ounces a day to get him used to them. I wear him while doing housework or when we're out and about but I try to swaddle and transfer him to the crib once asleep when we're home. I wish I could let him sleep in my arms like my first but I know it's more cruel to get him used to a level of care he won't be able to get later.

He really doesn't like hanging out on the floor...

I'm pained at the idea of him having to cry a lot and be miserable his first few weeks. I also don't want him to be termed if he is too needy--good daycare is hard to come by here.