Thread: Rie
View Single Post
Heidi 11:23 AM 10-28-2013
I love the concept, and years ago worked with a provider who studied at RIE with Magda.

My only argument, however, is that it's not completely practically based. Most of us have mixed age groups (including mixed age families). RIE, while very respectful of the infant, isn't always very realistic.

For example, at RIE, and infant should CHOOSE when they want to sleep. They have mats on the floor so that infants can crawl over and catch a nap. Okay, first of all, in my state, that's against licensing regs. Second, I would not be okay with my (fictional-mine are grown) crawling in and out of bed a night when they "feel" like sleeping. I'm very authoritarian when it comes to sleep. I decide...they don't. To me, it's called being a parent.

Another example is child-sized furniture. In an dc center, sure. In a home, it's awesome to have a little table and chairs for your toddler to play at or have a snack at. Sure, it empowers them. But, it's also good for a child to learn that they are part of a bigger world, and to be part of a social group. My kids sit at the table with us. We eat as a family. Me sitting on the floor so that they're comfortable is not really respecting ME, and I am the "elder" here. KWIM?