View Single Post
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:28 AM 03-17-2017
I have been there, done that! When I first started 20 years ago I had some horrid clients.. had some good ones too. One little was my smelly girl- insisted mom take her to doc and she had an infection from stuffing mac and cheese up her nose which is why she ALWAYS smelled like pee. I have a million stories- young boy (3) who wanted to grow up to ride a motorcycle and cut people up into little pieces- yup. Yes I have termed. I would watch kids longer hours than I wanted because "the parents needed care"- no they really could make other arrangements for the child I just made it easy on them and hard on me.
Now, I have rules. I charge more. I have set hours which has me done at 5. I am pickier at who I take. I only take 5 full time kids now (can have 6) I have 2 spots coming open this year, I am a little concerned but I know it will all work out. I have a daughter getting married and a son that had to get an apartment for the fall at college because they have no space in the dorms. $$$ and we are in the middle of home renovations. So there is some pressure to fill my spots. But, I will not change my hours or rules. I will find the "right" children for my spots. It has worked out over the years.
Work on making your program outstanding, do some networking, put flyers at places that "higher end" clients go. Honestly the library has brought me some of the best parents. Community college teachers have been good clients. Nurses may be if they have alternate pick up for 12 hour shifts. Some still do 7-3.
Personally, as soon as I could, I would look to limit down your hours so you are not burnt out- that shows and you will never get "select" clients. I would never work weekends. I need that time.
I have been doing this 20 years and I still work on making my house special and unique to attract the families that I want. Now, that said half of my enrollment today is on assistance. I am just picky on who I take, they must match my criteria- hours, ages etc when I am looking. I usually have a good mix between traditional families, young moms etc.
Good luck but if it isn't working out, figure out a plan B. Home childcare definitely has its ups and downs and is not for everyone!