View Single Post
Sunchimes 03:14 PM 12-31-2017
I was a special needs center for several years. My house had a revolving door for the ECI therapists. I loved them and never hesitated to let them in. That said, I never had more than 3 kids in care at one time, so it was easier than if I had had 5 or 6.

I didn't mean to do special needs, but one of my dc kids developed problems, so it started. I readily agreed for 2 reasons. None of my parents have had the type of jobs that they could take off for an hour in the middle of the day. Also, these kids spend 50+ hours a week with me. I was in charge of their therapy. I sat with the therapists while they worked with the kids and taught me how to do it. Then, I taught the parents what they needed to know. When a child needs therabrushing every 2 hours or certain physical therapies, it was up to me to meet their needs. I would have felt like I was not doing my best for them if I had declined. All therapies were scheduled through me, and the parents rarely even talked to them unless there was a question.

I don't have any S/N kids at the moment. Some aged out, one moved away, and my last one overcame her difficulties and is no longer considered special needs.

I think that the best part is how much I learned. Our ECI has a policy of blending into the daycare. Other than play therapy, they keep the child in the main room and everyone takes part, especially OT. Once they found out I was involved, they sent me videos, books, webinars, etc. I have learned so, so much, and I really like it. At one point, I considered going back to school for OT, but at my age, it just wasn't sensible. I found that I am really good at managing and doing the therapy.

Even though I am not doing it officially, I still use it. I have one child that is very sensory, as many kids are. I use the things I learned for him, and it helps.

I have 2 openings coming up this fall, and I hope, hope, hope that I can fill them with another s/n child and welcome the therapists back.