View Single Post
hwichlaz 04:25 PM 01-02-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
My experience is that daycare is chosen as the place to do EL intervention because that is what is best for the parents and the service providers schedule.

I wonder why the service providers don't accommodate the child's and family's schedule or the parents don't accommodate the service providers schedule? To me that seems more in line with the ADA then having services during child care with other children and adults present.

The service providers need to change their business model to early mornings, evenings, and weekends to accommodate the special needs child home schedule.

I have hosted a couple workers and it didn't turn out well. It was a big time suck and the expectation to relay information to parents and to be the go between from therapist to parents resulted in way too much patent conferencing and documentation.

The therapies the child received weren't affecting the child's success in my setting. I didn't need to be involved in any way.

I don't worry about being ADA compliant if the child's reason for therapy doesn't affect their daycare setting.

I would have to require the parents to exhaust every avenue to get their child help without involving the daycare before i would consider it. This would mean working with their employers to schedule before or after work therapy times, accessing other companies to provide services within hours they aren't working, and enlisting friends and relatives to host when their or the service providers schedule doesn't jive with the parents work hours and off work hours.
A child's ability to walk, hold her head up, sit up, eat etc all definitely affect her at daycare. The therapists that come here are helping with those things...and helping the children interact and play with their friends. I just go on about my day...but it's written in their goals and special ed plans that they need to get their help at daycare to be most effective. It's about what helps the child, not what helps the parents. I have one that is 2 years old and can't hold her head up for more than 30 secs at a time, or sit up, let alone roll over or crawl or walk etc. And another with CP who is learning how to physically navigate around playing children without being knocked over etc.