View Single Post
Lyss 10:27 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by Springdaze:
we had a garden last year and my husband is hooked! I would like flowers but when I wrote to a seed company about flowers that dont attract bees, they suggested ornamental grass! I would be afraid of too many bees
I wish but unfortunately bees are necessity

We have a very large garden area, mainly fruits and veggies, but I do have an area of flowers in the back yard. I rarely have a bee issue with the flowers, we occasionally see one or two. The area that has the most bees is the "berry area" (raspberries, blackberries, blueberry bushes) but its usually when the plants are flowering or when the berries are overripe (we try to pick before this point) and never had a problem thankfully. For us the reward outweighs the risk, plus none of my DCKs have a bee allergy. We get a few butterflies but not a whole lot.

Last year we did the butterfly garden habitat thing (mail order larva turn to butterflies, I got it from a friend sans the box so I'm not sure what brand it is but I see them at walmart) and released them into the garden, not that we ever saw them again but we tried!