View Single Post
Starburst 09:40 PM 03-09-2013
I agree its not fair that people only want babies and infants. Thats why many of the children in foster care are school age kids, preteens, and teens. Thats why in my origional post I said I would prefer to take teens.

People assume babies are blank slates but they are born with different temperments and they can be just as tempermental as older kids. And yes there are some people who adopt and cant have kids who do want kids that shouldn't. I saw an episode of "Women Behind Bars" when a woman who couldn't have children had adopted 2 girls overseas 2 years apart. She adopted the first one (Nataliya) and loved her instantly. She adopted another girl from Russia (Nina) a few years later. Supposidly Nina was suffering from a detatchment personality- which in the show was stated as normal for children in forgien orphanages. According to the mom, Nina never liked her and nover showed her affection but was always nice to her husband and her preschool teachers and other adults. She found her self very angry with Nina and often hit her when no one else was around. One day when she was at home alone with both girls, Nina threw something at Nataliya (moms favorite) and the mom beat her up- all the marks were under her clothes and the mom left Nina in her room for hours afterwords. The dad came home and they were all do at a relatives home for a holiday. The little girl was still acting funny and that dad just assumed she was sick. The mom started to feel guilty so she stayed home with her when everyone else went out. The mom said Nina was starting to actually let her hold her and everything and then the mom noticed she stopped breathing. She called 911 and at the hospital they found al the bruises and the mom confessed she was arrested and her husband divorced her. The woman said that she hopes this is a lesson for people who want to adopt babies and kids from foreign countries because their is no garenteed that you will love them. Since then I heard because of this russia has very stict adoption rules now and they stopped adopting to Americans.

http://adoption.about.com/b/2008/08/...-nina-hilt.htm

Sometimes people slip throught the cracks.