View Single Post
HappyEverAfter 01:36 PM 01-21-2018
A rule like this bothers me a lot. So, so much.

I am not and will never be a mother. That said, I am someone who loves children, has ample experience caring for children, made the Dean’s List multiple times in nursing school, and could provide references of parents who happily entrust their children to my care. I just don’t have children of my own because of a bum set of ovaries. And that bum set of ovaries doesn’t take a single thing away from my ability to provide top notch care to children.

And I think we all know that simply being a mother doesn’t mean you’re good at taking care of children. I have personally known many women who had children that they didn’t care for in the very best ways all the time. I’ve read endless stories of mothers who abused, neglected or even caused the death of their children.

I wholeheartedly agree with having someone over 18 and always having two caretakers. I would also not be opposed to a rule that called for someone with a set amount of childcare experience. If this were my church, I’d have to talk to someone regarding the rule about moms. If the rule weren’t changed, I’d no longer be willing to volunteer in that nursery and would likely consider changing churches altogether. Churches are supposed to welcome everyone and should relish anyone wanting to volunteer regardless of their level of reproduction. I am infuriated on your behalf.