View Single Post
Unregistered 11:43 AM 01-30-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
How long has this been a rule?

How long have you volunteered?

Does anyone else have an issue with this or ever brought it up.

If they have new comers that have asked for this as you stated, then they feel they are needing this rule in place.

Every time you are in the nursery without a "mom", find someone, let them know there is no "mom" in there and tell them that you aren't not comfortable breaking the rules so would they be able to go find a "mom" to be in there with you. This rule will get changed very quickly if they are constantly having to go try and find someone so they aren't breaking there own rules. If they say, no just go ahead, let them know that no you are a rule follower and there needs to also be a "mom" in there. It will change quick.
I have been a volunteer since August 2015. Apparently, this has always been the policy, but it's one that they didn't tell everyone (including me). My mom has had me cover for her in the past even though it meant the room had two non-moms caring for the kids because even she didn't know about this policy.

Most of the time, it's really a non-issue since there are only 2 non-moms who are over the age of 18, but twice this past Sunday, I had to remind the other moms about this rule.

We had three children: S, age 2, I, age 2-1/2, and K, almost 9 months. I and K are sisters, and their mom was one of the volunteers in the nursery. (S is the youngest son of the pastor).

We had four volunteers that morning. A 13 year old, two mothers, and myself. At one point, one of the mom volunteers stepped out of the room to use the restroom. The second mom volunteer (whose own kids were in the nursery) stepped out after the other mom stepped out. I was too late to stop anything (since the second mom tried to sneak out for a minute before her kids noticed).

Then, later, at the end of the service, both moms were stepping out of the room. One was going to get the vacuum; the other was leaving to pick up her kids from the children's wing. I was able to stop anyone from leaving. (At that time, only ONE child was signed in).

Clearly, the other moms in the nursery see no problem with leaving me as the "adult" in charge; it's just the church's policy.