View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 05-17-2018
I always reiterate the difference by saying "Are you telling me to get Johnny IN trouble or to get Johnny out of trouble?"

If it's to get Johnny in trouble, the tattler sits in time out.
If it's to get Johnny out of trouble, we discuss how awesome it was to help him out and how going to an adult in charge was a good choice!

Basically I really make a big to-do about making the right choice and have a consequence for "tattling". Firm and swift.

Some kids pick up on it fairly quickly and others end up sitting a couple times before they truly understand but honestly I've never had a kid that didn't get it after a couple weeks.

I've also used NannyDe method of using the smallest DCK in the house as the "Complaint Department" and anytime someone feels the need to tattle, they go tell the Complaint Department. The littlest kids usually LOVES that an older kid is talking to them. That works well too!

I have heard of many providers having a Tattle Turtle, Bear or Ear but I've personally just never really made that much effort and "cutsie-ness" into teaching kids about tattling.