View Single Post
melskids 04:10 PM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Interesting.

How many infants usually, though?

I think that is what really keeps me from pursuing this full force.... I usually have between 1 and 3 at a time.

My problem was not so much the writing on walls (washable paint) but demolition in general. Papers tossed/crumpled/torn/shredded, crayons snapped in half/thrown/stomped/eaten, and markers taken apart/chewed.

I take 3 steps towards the baby area, enter the diaper changing area and all double hockey sticks breaks loose....:lol: My clients do NO art with their kids....they feel that is what they pay ME for. It is an uphill battle.

I will have to incorporate it for ratings very soon, though. I just got the "warning shot" email saying 2013. I will be following this stuff like a hawk.

It is HARD for old dogs to learn new tricks.... I AM trying, though. If you know some great "starter" art stuff...PLEASE tell me about it.

Edit: For ALL 2 and under.
i currently have 2 infants, 8 and 10 months old.
2 two year olds
2 three year olds

your statement i bolded says it all right there...lol i NEVER walk away from the infants or toddlers when they are using the art supplies.

if your using FFCERS, i believe it says art should be available everyday to preschool age, but only 3 times a week, or maybe only once, to infants and toddlers. i'd have to look again. point is, you can start slow, a couple times a week until youre more comfortable and the kids get used to the materials being out.

infants sit in their highchairs, and i usually only give them 1 or 2 crayons at a time, or a teaspoon of paint at a time.

they snap crayons and crumble/tear paper. its all part of the process.

i gradually let them go to the "big kids" art table and the easel somewhere around 18 months old, but i still stay right with them until they understand how to use materials properly. (just like silversabre mentioned)

don't get me wrong, i'm not gonna lie. its ALOT of work. but like i said, its my thing, and i feel its all worth the effort.