View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
This is how I feel as well. Too much work and 99% of the time the kids are oblivious to what holidays are happening so it feels forced. I don’t typically do theme/adult lead activities either so when holidays come up it is a departure from my normal child lead curriculum, which is totally fine and is fun but it feels forced as the kids are not talking about it at all!

At the same time ignoring that these holidays are happening seems weird. BC do you get any grief from parents about not celebrating? Is it written into your contract?
I don't look at it like I am ignoring the holidays though and actually make comments to parents about how much being with family makes holidays great etc.... Of course I make a point of mentioning that holidays and daycare just doesn't mix well considering the vast differences families have now days in regards to how, where and when to celebrate.

I don't get any grief from families and I think it's because I make sure to let them know up front that to me holidays mean FAMILY not daycare.

I even make jokes to parents about how bad it had gotten over the years... kids TELLING me I HAD to buy them X or Y for Christmas etc... or the little girl that told me her mom told her the Easter Bunny only comes to daycare (DCM didn't want to do anything at home so figured she'd guilt me into it )

I guess I try to purposely take most my time off around holidays simply so I could avoid the perceived "responsibility" from parents.