View Single Post
Annalee 08:57 AM 09-09-2014
Dealing with "special needs" or any other child is a provider's choice....we know our limitations. The difference I see is with the law you have different criteria when dealing with turning down enrollment to/termination of a special needs. Licensing helped me draw up a clause to protect me from a discrimination suit. We stated I could not care for a special needs child that required extra staff, materials, etc.. There is a fine line when the laws are involved. I have 2 special needs nephews and I know how frustrating it can be when someone doesn't understand or shows little empathy, but I also know most people do not intend to be hurtful. They just don't know what it is like to be around special needs for long periods of time. I have a large family but there are 3 persons the my bro and his wife will leave their children with if needed....mom, myself and my niece....there is NO ONE else that can or will deal with an 18 year old that acts like a 4 year old and needs meds throughout the day for seizures, etc. The 11 year old is easier but has multiple learning disabilities (can't read) but can put tedious mechanical things together???? He gets a little spastic which makes him hard to deal with. I think he feels threatened by watching others knowing he can't do what they do but he wants to....Just some cards we are dealt and everyone does the best they can with those cards.