View Single Post
NightOwl 08:12 AM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I have worked with kids with special needs, and I can say it is not my "gifting". But I have loved the experience of watching them grow and learn over time. I have also learned a lot about myself.

I think every teacher and child care provider has their strengths and weaknesses. However, its important to remember that every child and family is different. So IMO having a mentality to never work with kids of differing abilities is short sighted. I think we should assess every child and family for your ability to meet their needs. You may just miss out on some awesome things by never reaching out of your comfort zone.

But, many times, home providers do not have all of the resources and extra hands needed to care for kids with special needs (especially when severe behavior problems are involved). And it is only wise to not accept kids who will cause too much stress on you and the children/environment. That is not healthy for anyone involved.
Yes! When I worked at/owned a center, we had a dcg with severe issues including autism, deafness, mental capacity of an 18 month old, IQ test registered a score in the 30s, etc. She came from an orphanage in Romania where physical and emotional neglect was rampant. She wasn't picked up from her crib for the first 18 months of her life. She was a handful, but we loved her so much.

She started at the center at 8 years old (even before I started there) and we kept amending our license's age limit (normally only went to 12 years old) to continue her care until she finally left for a group home at age 19 years old. She became very defiant at times and would close her eyes (that was her way of ignoring us because she is deaf) to ignore us when we signed for her to stop the behavior. But we handled it. WE. As a group. In a home setting with a single provider, this would never, ever, ever have worked.

You have to know your limits and what you are capable of. I was capable of caring for her at the center, I would NOT be capable at home.