View Single Post
Mom2Two 06:18 PM 06-16-2017
<chills> That would be my cue to quit as a home daycare provider, and I'm pretty sure others would quit in droves too, which would raise daycare rates.

I have a cell phone, and parents can text anytime and I answer. They are free to drop in unannounced, although if it was too often and I got the feeling they were suspicious of me, they can go find other care. I am licensed and get unannounced inspections. That's enough.

Frankly, just as parents often don't want to discipline their children in public, I would feel uncomfortable having a parent watch me discipline another family's child. I rarely say negative things about children to other families, so they are unaware that the other dcb is waaaay behind their kid in learning, or that one girl cries for 15 minutes every day on drop off or that another kid got 5 time outs in a four hour space of time. Do parents want to know that their kid is the pickiest eater and how i deal with it? If they ask me, i'll tell them, but otherwise they deal with it their way and I deal with it in my way. Do they want to know that their kid over-eats (and he is chubby) and I have to cut him off sometimes? Like I said, if they want to know, I'm fine with telling them, but I truly think that it would cause parents to worry more about stuff that may not really be their highest concern. And I would feel very awkward at having every minor detail of guidance on display.

I honestly think knowing too many details would be distracting to parents and cause the worriers to worry too much.