Thread: Kids Crafts
View Single Post
Josiegirl 01:30 PM 03-03-2018
I think it's more of a free form art than craftsy type stuff. My 17 mo draws more on her hands and the table than on her paper but I do see improvement so I keep offering. If dcm is all passive aggressive disappointed in lack of crafts for the younger one, take pictures of them doing all kinds of other stuff and remind parents how much their little ones are learning and how their fine motor skills are developing by allowing freedom of exploration on their own time tables; maybe even make a poster with all the dcks' pictures and activities they're doing. I don't know why so much importance is placed on artwork and crafts, especially crafts, because so much is directed by an adult when they're little. I can cover a piece of paper with glue and my 17 mo will have more fun sticking stuff on and peeling it back off. Then what is left to show for it? Splotches of dried glue. Lol
I don't know if this will help but I've always loved this poem; it helps let parents know what their children are learning, even when they're not gluing, cutting, painting, etc.

Just Playing

When I am building in the block room, please don't say I'm "just playing". For you see, I'm learning as I play, about balance and shapes. Who knows, I may be an architect someday.

When I'm getting all dressed up, setting the table, caring for the babies, don't get the idea I'm "just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play; I may be a mother or a father someday.

When you see me up to my elbows in paint or standing at an easel, or molding and shaping clay, please don't let me hear you say, "He is just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm expressing myself and being creative. I may be an artist or an inventor someday.

When you see me sitting in a chair "reading" to an imaginary audience, please don't laugh and think I'm "just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I may be a teacher someday.

When you see me combing the bushes for bugs, or packing my pockets with choice things I find, don't pass it off as "just play". For you see, I'm learning as I play. I may be a scientist someday.

When you see me engrossed in a puzzle or some "plaything" at my school, please don't feel the time is wasted in "play". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning to solve problems and concentrate. I may be in business someday.

When you see me cooking or tasting foods, please don't think that because I enjoy it, it is "just play". I'm learning to follow direction and see differences. I may be a cook someday.

When you see me learning to skip, hop, run and move my body, please don't say I'm "just playing". For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning how my body works. I may be a doctor, nurse or athlete someday.

When you ask me what I've done at school today, and I say, "I just played", please don't misunderstand me. For you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm learning to enjoy and be successful in my work. I'm preparing for tomorrow. Today, I am a child and my work is play.

~Anita Wadley