View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Hello! I see you haven't been here in a while-welcome back!

It's hard to know what to say, not knowing what you've tried, but I would

A. Find EVERY opportunity to catch him doing something right, and notice it. "Wow, dcb, I see you are being gentle with the cat". Or "I see you are building a big tower". You don't have to praise him constantly for doing the right thing, just notice outloud.

B. When he does something he shouldn't, whenever possible, tell him what you WANT him to do vs. what you don't. After 22 years of raising kids, I am still working on that some days. So, "I want you to sit on the chair" instead of
"don't stand on the chair" or "Use gentle hands with...." instead of "Don't hit...".

C. If he seems to be overwhelmed easily, try to give him (and all the kids) a nice spot to chill. A cozy corner away from the group for alone time. An old crib mattress with some throw pillow, stuff animals, and a basket of books. When he gets crazy, direct him to the "chill hill" or the "quiet zone" or the "cozy corner"...I'm not feeling clever enough to come up with anything original right now, sorry.

D. When you give him a directive, try to get down low, and get eye contact. Ask for eye contact (but don't force it). If he's capable, ask him to repeat what you said so you KNOW he heard and understood.

I don't know if any of this helps, but that's all I've got....