View Single Post
QualiTcare 10:39 PM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I would say that it's a defense mechanism--and a reflection on the way he gets treated at home or elsewhere when he's caught doing "wrong" (not that at his age there's much that's truly "wrong", iykwim).

A 2 year old is not capable of purposefully concealing the truth--but they are capable of telling what they wish had happened, or what they know the adult wants to hear, or, in these cases, what they know will NOT get them in trouble. "Truth" is a fluid concept for them, and it will be until early elementary school.

As for doing things only when he thinks you're not looking--I'd say that's pretty normal. Mine has done it all along! But again, I think it probably reflects a lot on how he gets treated at home.
does he have an older sibling/siblings? my sisters still joke about how they blamed EVERYTHING on me when i was too young to defend myself. they realized they screwed up when they used paint to write WORDS on the basement wall and said, "QualiT did it" and of course i couldn't spell, read, or write anything.

my daughter did the same thing to my son who is younger than her. it didn't last as long as my sister's scheme bc they're closer in age. still, he could be getting old enough to recognize when something happens that his siblings put the blame on someone else. that may be his normal.