View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMom View Post
I don't even want to think about that...ick.

Anyway~I am a bargain shopper, coupon clipper, rebater and savings card subscriber. I would never give up my Sam's Club membership without a fight. I think I belong to every savings/coupon club know to man I have and 8' x 10' room in the basement that contains floor to ceiling shelving and a large upright freezer.

I probably spend on average about $300/wk for my family of 5; 14 daycare kids and one daycare assistant. That includes paper/cleaning/pet supplies.

But I shop a little differently. For example, when Hamburger/Chicken Helper is 10/$10 at the grocery store, it is not unusual for me to buy 30 boxes (with coupons of course!)net price $.66 a box. I go to the bakery outlet store and buy 1.5 lb loaves of bread, hot dog and hamburger buns 10/$5 and freeze them. We buy chicken and hamburger by the case to get the best price. For paper products and cleaning supplies the Walgreens and CVS shoppers cards are amazing. I'm not much of a cook, so 'from scratch' is a stretch but I love my crockpot and when I do cook I do double and triple batches.

All this is off the top of my head, but google 'frugal living' and there are bunches of websites and blogs with tips on how to save money on food and household products. One of my favorites is

http://thefrugalsuburbanhomemaker.blogspot.com/

Brenda is a master at the art of saving money~if nothing else it makes for interesting reading.
I guess part of my problem is that I really don't buy much for processed foods. And I buy a whole beef of grass fed beef and free range chicken, so I do spend a bit more there. I almost never find coupons for the items I buy because most are just fresh fruits and veggies. I do buy some crackers and yogurts and etc. And I do clip coupons for those when I find them. I will definately check out the link! Thanks!